Saturday, February 28, 2009

This Weekend's Art Ventures



The academy awards have come and gone and the awards have all been passed out. I'll save my analysis for after I see all the pictures nominated. But until then, check out this flick.


If you know me at all, you know that DeNiro is my #1 acting favorite and so, I look for anything he is in. His ability to play really bad guys and make me love them anyway is something that other actors should observe. Anybody can love a good guy, but make a gangsta loveable -- well, that takes a skill most would kill for, pun intended.


The movie that I most recently watched is "What Just Happened" starring Sean Penn, Catherine Keener, John Turturro, Robin Wright Penn, STanley Tucci (yeah!!!), Kristen Stewart, Michael Wincott and Bruce Willis. It is a story that plops you right down in the middle of Hollywood and all its egos and tells the story of all the big guys living on the edge in a city and industry that devours its own.


If you like shoot 'em ups and explosions, then go snag a copy of Good Fellas. But if you love subtle acting, rather skillful dialogue and what can actually be called a plot, then this is a movie you gotta see. Directed and Produced by Barry Levinson and Art Linson (writer), this is a movie that gives you nuance over trendy action shots. Thank goodness. I loved it, loved DeNiro and laughed my head off.


Since I still had half a bottle of my favorite wine
I decided to watch one of the Oscar's winners,
"Changeling". I have every reason to really
dislike Angelina Jolie...she is beautiful, skinny even after having kids and of course, she snagged the Bradelino, so therefore I dislike her. It is shallow and juvenile I admit, but its tough to like someone with so much -- and she wears killer shoes, so there you go.
But I loved her in this film. She played the part beautifully and again, here is a movie that actually has a story -- a good story even, and that my friends, gives me hope for Hollywood after all.

No comments: