Sunday, December 7, 2008

Why I believe in promoting local artists

ArtHaus 2008 has been a wonderful experience for me. In addition to getting some much needed painting and repairs done around the shop, I found myself surrounded by beautiful works of art and meeting new creative friends that have both inspired and challenged me.

So now, in addition to my journal and colorful sharpies, I'm equipped with my new (small) set of watercolors and paper as Renee Dotson has encouraged me to do so. I remember now why I first picked up those colorful pencils and pens...I find myself lost in the process of creating, no matter what the outcome may be.

Watch for additional dates for Arthaus 2009 coming this January 1 to EA&I along with a Summer Arthaus that promises to be bigger and even more fun. Here's a blog from one of the clients that came and participated.

http://guncarryinglibrarian.wordpress.com/

Supporting local artist just makes good sense. First, it allows you to find your own unique art work that can be purchased and signed by the artist. You can then have your own story to share with those that visit your office or home and be on your way to collecting art. Collecting art is like collecting anything - you find what you like and you make room for it, much like Tom suggests in his blog (above).

Next, it does a lot of good for a local artist who is pursuing his or her own creative life to create things of beauty to be admired by someone. And finally, it saves a ton of packaging and waste to pick up your own artwork through local artists.

But mostly, it allows you to be a part of a creative process that is uniquely your own and therefore nurturing and sustaining.

No comments: