Sunday, October 12, 2008

Weekend of Arts


I spent the weekend immersed in art of all kinds.
First, a trip with my daughter to the Wichita Art Museum where I
was comforted and intrigued by some of my favorite artists. Did you know
that the Art Museum has FREE admission on Saturdays? What a great way
to invest an afternoon. It boasts one of the best - if not THE best - collection
of American Art with artists such as Robert Henri, Carol Wuermer, John Koch,
and of course, Mary Cassatt. I do not know why, but everytime I see the "Mother
and Child" I weep with emotion, so clear is the message of safety and nurturing.
It's difficult, though, to not exclaim when you see Dale Chihuly's Confetti Chandelier.
Go to his web site for an amazing tour de force of one of America's most enigmatic
and creative artists (www.Chihuly.com).
As October's warm weather turns decisively to cooler fall weather, I'll be holed up
with several at the upstairs loft of the shop with Nanowrimo 08. I won the event
two years ago, which means that I completed 50,000 words (novel length) in one
month. This year, I'm taking it a step further and encouraging others to join in the fun of creating their own novel in one month. Nanowrimo boasts several published authors but the
real goal of Nanowrimo (National Novel Writing Month) is to encourage "lots of bad writing" so the good stuff can emerge. One well known book, "Water for Elephants" was written (at least the first draft or so) during an installment of this caffeine heavy event.
Go to Nanowrimo.org for more information. I am planning some "write-ins" for other aspiring wrimos so see you in November.

No comments: